ρ є т є я ρ α и

HOME ABOUT STUFF BIASES FOLLOW DASHBOARD

Put your pforile here ;




F o l l o w e r g a d g e t ;


© Skin by Atiqah Jaidin inspired by Myra. Image from . Do tell me if I do not credit yours.
KARMA
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 | 0 peterpan(s)

Hi, so this is the first thought that I always had and I wanted to pen it down. KARMA. Just what is KARMA? Like why the toilet flush works until your turn, why you like some quirky guys at first sight, why the bus never stops for you, why you are  rich, why you are ugly, why you are a Singaporean...basically, KARMA = WHY.  


     As a buddhist, I 've always been curious about what Karma means and how Karma explains our meaning in this life and our afterlife.  In laymen terms : Karma means cause and effect ,which means you reap what you sow. 


yeah, it comes back to you. Just remember. 
Everybody wants to know why we are different from the others, sometimes we wished we were like the others, as rich as them, as pretty as them, as talented as them, but we are never them. and then we start to habour negative emotions like jealousy, greed and being covetous. To err is human, beings like us are never satisfied.  

And Buddha's reply was" All living beings have actions (Karma) as their own, their inheritance, their congenital cause, their kinsman, their refuge. It is Karma that differentiates beings into low and high states.

Being especially interested, I took up a book with karma stories on it but it turned out to be quite a freaky experience instead. And I got scared quite a bit. There was this story about a farmer who likes to break the legs of these chickens and duck who ate on his crops and until one day where he fell sick and his leg started to rot and it was as though he felt thousands of chicken was pecking on him. When I read it...I could'nt sleep for nights... I kept thinking about the numbers of chicken I have eaten in my life and if they would come for me one day? I even went veggie totally cause I got really freaked out from this. But it did'nt really last for more than a week, cause I cant really stand not eating meat...and I would prolly be only 35kg if I only ate only veggie... but at least you know how haunting the experience was. 


The reason I started to be involved in Karma was when I realised that I was changing. Cant really explain... but I just felt that I was slowly losing myself... there's this evil side of me that I cannot breakthrough. I remembered when I was younger, I didnt have too much deliberation, I didnt have too much expectations, I just go. Which is why things went pretty well for me, studies, friends, my acting experiences...


But I guess as we grow up we start to think a lot more. Thinking about things which are unnecessary, we becomes very hesitant, we start to become more selfish, more greedy, more uncontented. Life was getting so tiring to get by, especially when my skin started to break out and that beautician made it worse and I knew I was scarred for life. It was a very depressing incident of my life I would say. Every night I ask myself why all these things happen to me.. why that beautician... why me. Then I cry myself to sleep. I thought I will go crazy soon if my heart is just filled with so much hatred and anger everyday. To be honest, I even wished that I was dead every morning I woke up. I mean, whats the point when all your hopes and dreams are gone right? You cant even look at anyone in their eyes. And that's when I found Karma. 

And I really wanna advocate Karma to whoever is reading this. It is the most convenient way of thinking to lead a better life for yourself.  My mum knocked some sense into me when I was crying so miserably and she really got enough of my self pity and she scolded me " If you cant change it, accept it and make it better." 

That's when I thought yeah, maybe I should accept it and make it better. That's totally in line with what Karma has to say. Although Karma is just one of the five roots that makes you what you are, but  its enough to impact your life. Why you is because of what you have done, and what you can be is what you do now. Easy as ABC?  Haha. Karma goes around and around provided if you believe in afterlife and previous life. Even if you dont, dont you think Karma makes the world a much better place to live in? 


Read this amazing summary of karma below: 

When the unexpected happens, the Buddhist realises that he is reaping what he has sown, and he is wiping off a past debt. Instead of resigning himself, leaving everything to Karma, he makes a strenuous effort to pull the weeds and sow useful seeds in their place, for the future is in his own hands.


He who believes in Karma does not condemn even the most corrupt, for they, too, have their chance to reform themselves at any moment. Though bound to suffer in woeful states, they have hope of attaining eternal Peace. By their own doings they have created their own Hells, and by their own doings they can create their own Heavens, too.

A Buddhist who is fully convinced of the law of Karma does not pray to another to be saved but confidently relies on him for his own emancipation. Instead of making any self-surrender, or calling on any supernatural agency, he relies on his own will power, and works incessantly for the well-being and happiness of all. This belief in Karma validates his effort and kindles his enthusiasm, because it teaches individual responsibility.   
         



With karma, you'll never be upset about unhappy events that happens. 
With karma, you will start to do good for a better life.
With karma, you never look down on the have-nots.

So who cares if karma really existed or not, as long as it works right? Cheers to Karma! 



Source: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm

Labels: